Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Love Bade Me Welcome


This is the archive for the Jewelry Poetry Page of the Beadshaper web site. Every month a piece of jewelry on the Beadshaper site is named after a classic poem. To see the Beadshaper site, please click http://www.beadshaper.com/ . The following poem was the one for the month of April, 2007.

Love Bade Me Welcome
by George Herbert ( 1593-1633)

Love bade me welcome; yet my soul drew back,
Guilty of dust and sin.
But quick-eyed Love, observing me grow slack
From my first entrance in,
Drew nearer to me, sweetly questioning
If I lacked any thing.
“A guest” I answered, “worthy to be here”;
Love said, “You shall be he.”
“I the unkind, ungrateful? Ah my dear,
I cannot look on Thee.”
Love took my hand, and smilingly did reply,
“Who made the eyes but I?”
“Truth Lord, but I have marred them: let my shame
Go where it doth deserve.”
“And know you not,” says Love, “who bore the blame?
“My dear, then I will serve.”
“You must sit down, says Love, “and taste my meat.”
So did I sit and eat.

No comments: